Sunday, July 29, 2012

Nvidia, why do you taunt us so?


The video card in my main box is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 470. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-470 Not the best card on the market but the best I can justify at the moment. (If any of you feel bad for me, buy my products so I can get a new one ;) )

A couple weeks back Best Buy had the Sony PlayStation 3D display on sale for $199, and being that like a true nerd I am attracted to all things new and high tech, I snapped it up. I had been drooling over this for ages and it was finally mine!

Mine! All mine! My precious! Err, sorry, I switched genres on you there.

I plug my PC into one of the HDMI ports, and it works perfectly right from the get go.

I pop in a copy of the Green Hornet (Don’t judge me!) 3D, put the glasses the screen came with over my own, and hit play.

Gorgeous! Glorious! Great! I can’t wait to load up Dragon Age. Ferelden will be saved in 3D!

It loads! It looks..... freakin 2D...

What the hell Nvidia?  I mean I know my GPU is a little out of date but I paid you 300 bucks for it not all THAT long ago.

Maybe it’s a driver issue, no those are up to date... Off to the Google cave!

It seems if I want to play a movie, Nvidia will graciously allow me to do so. Bless their tight-fisted, money-grubbing, shriveled hearts.

HOWEVER

If I want to play a game, any game, games they brag about in their compatibility list in 3D, I need to buy another program that they will be happy to sell me so that my video card can play in a mode they brag about.

Ah, who cares?  I don’t really mind spending 10 bucks here or there. (If I did Facebook would be much poorer.)

So let’s see, Nvidia 3DTV Plat will cost me... FIFTY DOLLARS? WTH! I mean, come on, I can’t be the only one that finds that ridiculous. I wanna play a game, not buy a new one, for Pete’s sake!

All right, fine, I’ll pay it, but I won’t like it. Let me go buy your overpriced program, you greedy power hungry bast....

Oh, come on!


So, first, you want me to pay for a program that should be free, and then you aren’t even set up for me to buy it?

*Checks calendar*

Nope.  It’s not April Fool’s Day.  They just suck that much.

Maybe when I do upgrade, I’ll go with ATI.

This gets the Nerdly Seal of Suck.



*wanders off muttering*

No comments:

Post a Comment